Who exactly is this Samaori Ture? Have anyone of you heard of him? Yes, the short person with a huge mustache and short hair. He is our new chief and he is prosecuting people just because they do not listen to him. I heard from him today that the whites-skins are coming in a matter of weeks, and we are supposed to fight them till the end. Why should I listen to this new chief of mine? What makes him think that we will respect him given such a short time and adhere to his orders? We will not do what he want us to do! We are not dogs, we are humans. No, there should not be fighting and we will all ignore the chief’s instructions, no matter how many of us he prosecutes.
Apparently, everybody around me is afraid of death and one by one, we joined his army. We are known as the Camouflage and we are trained only to strike at night as that is the only advantage we have over the white man. The white-skins are a formidable lot. They have huge heavy sticks which will give a blast and then screams of agony will be heard from a comrade. I turn around, and see him lying on the floor, lifeless. My chief told me not to care about him and continue to charge at the whites, with our homemade sticks and stones. I ran towards the white men with all my energy and from the periphery of my eyes, I noticed that one by one, my fellow countrymen fell and stumbled towards the ground. I was afraid of all the white-skins and thus I fell to the ground, pretending to be dead.
That is how I survived the ferocity of the white-skins.