What do those white-skins think they are doing???
Today, one whole group of them came over with a piece of paper saying that our farm belongs to them. Our family has owned and used this piece of land for more than a hundred years, and why does it belong to the white-skins now? They say we must have a tie..tie..title deed. I don’t even know what that is!
They forced me and my sons to burn all the corn in our fields. ALL. What will we eat if all our food is gone? I had no choice but to obey them, or else they would shoot me, just like my 3rd uncle. They shot him when he refused to burn his land! Who they think they are? The land which our family depended on for more than a hundred years, gone in a simple blaze.
Not just that, after burning down the fields, we were ordered to plant these… rubber seeds. We don’t even know how to grow these weird rubber seeds! Also, we were the ’caretakers’ for the land, working for one of the white-skins (they all look the same to me, I can’t tell the difference). Then, he ordered us to grow the trees, and then he would send someone to teach us to harvest the plant sap. Also, he gave me some pieces of crinkly paper. It seems tougher than usual paper, and there is a picture of a woman on it. It says… Pounds… What’s that? What are we going to do when we have no food in the store to eat? We don’t know how to use the pieces of paper the white-skin gave us. Who would want to exchange corn for pieces of crinkly paper anyway?
Yet, there is nothing we can do. I’m afraid that if I say no, I will get shot, and then my whole family will break up too. I don’t want my wife and daughters turned into prostitutes!